Diana is a self-taught cook and baker (there is hope for us yet, folks!). She is passionate about food and fell head over heels with cooking and baking. "I'm also an ex-school teacher, hence teaching people how to cook and bake is something that comes pretty naturally to me - which is why I write at The Domestic Goddess Wannabe. I strongly feel that more people should cook and/or bake and I hope that by simplifying recipes and explaining with the aid of step-by-step pictures on my blog, more will pick up a spatula, or a whisk and make something at home!".
And just for you, I sneak into her kitchen for a peek. And while you read this, I shall google 'spatula' and 'whisk'. Oh and by the way, if you'd like the recipes for all the yummy things you see here, simply click on the name of the dish to be linked away!
But first, hello no-bake Strawberry Cloud Cake!
What are the top 3 tips you have for a newbie cook?
1. Don't be intimidated by recipes - everything can be broken down into manageable parts. Deal with each part one at a time!
2. Read the entire recipe before you start baking or cooking. As you read, picture the steps in your mind. In this way, you'd have "made" the item once (in your head) and chances of getting things wrong are a lot lower.
3. Measure all your ingredients and have them ready to go. For a newbie cook, things can quickly go South if you are not well-prepared.
2. What are some of your favourite recipes?
Favourite Daily Meal Recipes
|One-pot dishes like this: Old-time beef Stew|
|Shanghai Style Braised Pork Belly|
Favourite Quick Snack/ Side Dish Recipe
|Myulchi bokkeum - korean stir-fried anchovies|
Favourite Dessert Recipes
Favourite Special Occasion Recipes
|Absolutely the best yellow cake with swiss meringue buttercream|
3. Have you had any recipe disasters?
For sure, but they don't make it to the blog. Like this Coconut Custard Pie I made today. It ended up all shrivelled and extremely ugly!! EEEK!
4. Who takes your step-by-step pics!
I take all the pictures for my recipes. While it was not easy at the beginning, I am pretty much used to it now but at times it can still be a challenge because I am right handed and it is awkward at times, for example, when I am trying to hold food with a pair of chopsticks and take a picture at the same time!